Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Soulmates

"There you are" crooned my soul.

Have you ever felt that moment of instant connection with another being? A moment so powerful that it awakens your spirit and serves as an affinity with your anima.

At a quarter century year old, I haven't committed to one individual in matrimony. I'm not saying I haven't found this person yet, because perhaps I have. Perhaps I've known them my whole life and God's timing hasn't joined us together in that way. Or maybe I've just seen them in passing. Maybe we still haven't crossed paths just yet. There's even the possibility I won't ever have such a person in my life.

You see, that's the thing about a soul mate… there's too much pressure. Most people think of their soul mate as the person they marry, someone who completes them, their other half, someone they belong to.

But I don't believe that.

I don't believe that I need anyone to complete me. I believe I am a beautiful whole, independent of whoever I choose to fall in love with. To be someone's other half implies there's a part of me missing. And while there are times I am most certainly lost, I am never missing.  I belong to no one, but myself.

I don't believe in the concept of a soul mate. I don't think there's one individual that can fulfill all of my needs. 

But I do believe in soul mates

There are people in my life who understand me on a subliminal level. Some deep connection exists between us, that only fate can explain. They may not understand all of me, but on some level they can fathom some depth of my soul.




These soul mates exist in many forms: in best friends, in teachers, in coworkers, lovers, family members, and even strangers on the street. It is with these beings that you find a connection, a bond, an intimate understanding.

I believe I have found soul mates in multiple people. I like to believe that each of us is so unique that no single person can possibly understand how complex each of us really is. You can have a food soul mate, a companion soul mate, a religious soul mate, a sex soul mate. All the intricate details that are woven into our lives, there is a special soul mate that can compliment each of them.

You know you've found one of your soul mates when you feel as if you're the only person that has ever felt or thought a certain way and then they reply, "me too." It is in these instances that our souls connect and somehow we have flirted with fate.

Other times, words may not even have to be expressed to know you've found one of your soul mates. But someway, somehow, they are familiar and comfortable to you. Perhaps from another time or place, but you feel as if you know them.

Having soul mates is beautiful. Knowing that somehow the universe has reserved these other people for you, that your life will so gracefully intersect and align with. That at some exact moment in time, you will need each other.

They may be there for only moments, or they might be there for years. They may be fate's intervention to set you on the right path. They may be someone who will challenge your thoughts or arouse in you a passion. They may be someone who is there when you need someone to understand. They may serve as prompt to have faith in serendipity. Or maybe they exist so that we get a glimpse of what this world has to offer and what we can in turn offer it.

I may never spend the rest of my life with any of these souls, but they serve as a reminder that we are connected to something much greater than ourselves and even if it's only for a moment…  we are not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment