Thursday, February 6, 2014

Forever 25: The store that sells post grad staples

Link Share Thumbnail



The other day I had to run to the dreaded mall (dun dun dun… cue dramatic music).  I really needed some new basic colored leggings since all of mine are well worn with rips and tears. So, I decided to venture into Forever 21 and pick up some leggings.  I've had leggings from all different stores that ranged in all different prices and I will say for the price, the $3.80 leggings from Forever 21 are WELL WORTH the cost. My $20/pair leggings from Macy's wore out far before these little gems did. Not to mention the fact I can literally get 3 pairs in every color and still only be paying 1/2 of what I did at Macy's.

During my college days I used to shop at Forever 21 ALL the time.  I mean you really can't beat those prices. Quality? Definitely. Price? Not so much.  For clothes I'm only going to wear 2-3 times anyways (because heaven forbid I wear the same dress in a picture twice) they're worth the all of $12-20 I paid for them.

However, when I walked into Forever 21 the other day I was astonished at how much the store had changed in a matter of few years.  The thought of "back in my day" even flashed through my mind, although it was really only 3 years ago.  Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm not the young fashionista I used to be, or maybe the collegians today dropped acid and went back into a horrible 90s time machine.

I looked around and tried a few items on.  I don't remember dresses ever being THAT short before. Apparently trying to find a dress that comes close to your knees is like trying to find a polar bear in the Bahamas. EVERY dress I tried on I wouldn't be able to even bend 1/2 way over before flashing my booty.

I came to the sad realization that my clothes buying days at Forever 21 are long gone.  Gone are the days of affordable clothes and finding the perfect outfit for whatever theme party I was going to that week.  So I thought to myself, "What if they made a store that carried all the basic staples for people who aren't in high school or college anymore?"  Being stuck between graduating college and pre marital bliss is the awkward stage of life I like to call post grad life.  I'm too old to shop at Forever 21, but not old enough to shop at Loft. So, I created a list of things I would sell in my store called Forever 25.   Featuring items you need in post grad life.  These would be the top features at my store:

Wine 


Because these delectable fermented grapes are the only thing that stands between you and an emotional breakdown somedays.  This little happy potion just makes you relax and forget about all your stress for a little while.  Did I mention it totally counts as your serving of fruit a day? 

Comfortable Flats


I had the grand delusion in college that I had to wear high heels everywhere I went.  Why? I don't know because I'd usually end up in agonizing pain, taking them off and walking around barefooted about an hour and half in. I even walked around Las Vegas barefoot after breaking a heel and luckily somehow didn't contract hepatitis .  When I became a young professional I invested in several pairs on flats.  Flats are wonderful…. if they are the flexible comfortable kind.  Then there are the flats that have no give, rub your heels raw with blisters squishing your little piggies, making you look like you're trying to balance on stilts by the end of the day.  So selling comfort approved flats is a must. 

Yoga Pants


Because these little gems are a must have for everyone.  These are the only socially acceptable form of lounge pants you can wear out in public.  Do I do yoga? Yes, once a week.  Do I wear yoga pants? Um yeah, try immediately every day after I get home from work. 

Girl Scout Cookies



How am I supposed to eat all those cookies in the short period they are sold? I mean what if I have a major life crisis or breakup with my boyfriend in some other time besides early Spring? How on Earth am I going to eat all those feelings then?! I mean Ben & Jerry's shouldn't get all that profit for the remainder of the year. 

Shower/Wedding Attire 



The only social events I seem to get to attend any more are weddings, weddings showers, baby showers, oh and did I mention weddings?  To date I've had 7 bridesmaid dresses.  That doesn't include adding in the dresses I needed for the wedding showers, couples showers, rehearsal dinners and bachelorette parties.  So why not have a whole section of the store solely dedicated to what you do every other weekend in post grad life: wedding events. 

Wine To-Go Glasses




Let's face it, you never know when you're going to need that delicious grape juice on the run.  In college I used to carry the entire bottle around at parties, because you know if it was put down… it would be gone. Some brilliant human being has figured out how to class it up a notch. 

Spanx 

If you had asked me a few years ago what I would be doing for New Years Eve at age 25, I would would have guessed I would be some wonderful young urban professional, in a sparkling, fabulous cocktail dress, sipping champagne on a rooftop, surrounding by equally attractive and successful people. Well, I kinda got to celebrate on a roof top and I had some amazing champagne, however I would have never guessed that my biggest conundrum of the night would trying to figure out how to simultaneously wear spanx and leggings.  Is being skinny better or is being cold better? 

Cardigans 

They go with everything.  Cardigans can cover up those shoulders unsightly things that should never be exposed at work. They can also help dress up an outfit and even give it a whole new look.  Seriously just buy one in every color.  You can thank me later. 

Xanax 

Who has time to go get counseling, go to the doctor and wait in line at the pharmacy? This is post grad life. I'm obviously busy planning everyone else's wedding, taking on more work than I should to try to climb up that career ladder, and trying to figure out how to meet people who also just want to drink wine and binge on Netflix while wearing yoga pants.  This stuff should be standardly stocked on the shelves for us type As.  Take one, feel your stress levels go down.  Is that building on fire? It's okay. We'll figure out how to handle it…. 

Push-Up Bras 

Turns out those crazy theories you covered in physics class, turned out to be real.  Gravity. It's starting to take effect.  Those 20 year old perky tits couldn't last forever, so help your girls out by giving them a little nudge. 

Young Business Professional Attire


Clothing that you can actually wear to work.  No worries about bending over and flashing everyone or leaning over to let the girls peek out.  Dresses that actually cover your ass, skirts that come down to your knees and V necks that don't show your cleavage.  Clothes that let the world know, "I'm serious and intelligent, but I can still look cute." 


If only Forever 25 could really exist.  The perfect one stop shop for post grad life.  What else would you add to the store?

1 comment: